Monday, April 6, 2009

My Fantasies

No Corey Magette, no Kevin Martin, no chance. I “competed” in (I was tempted to say “played” but I haven’t actually had my hands on a basketball in about 20 years.) 3 fantasy basketball leagues, four counting that Yahoo! league (Philly Basketball, ID# 93185) I was thrown out of for calling out a stupid league administrator, and made the finals in one, Yahoo Public 157437, only to have two of my high scorers on the bench suffering from injuries just when I need them most.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. For one reason or another, teams often fall apart when the playoffs come around. Besides injuries, there’s the resting up for the actual NBA Playoffs phenomenon. If you’re not familiar with the way it works, fantasy playoffs are always scheduled to be over before the actual NBA playoffs begin. That way teams aren’t penalized if their players are on teams that didn’t make the playoffs. For some odd reason, coaches who rest up their players so they’ll be fresh for the playoffs are not worried about your fantasy competition.

To make things worse, my opponent in the finals boasts a team led by LeBron James. Let’s think about this. On one hand, my two high scorers are down, while, on the other, Superman LeBron is storming the backboard like no tomorrow. I’m toast.

Thank goodness, I’ve got distractions. In case you didn’t know, fantasy baseball (real MLB Baseball, too, I’ve heard) starts today. I’m in 4 Yahoo leagues, two ESPN leagues, and one MLB.com league. The drafts have produced mixed results. Still, I think I’ll be competitive. So, PLAY BALL.

No comments: