Monday, September 15, 2008

Netflix Sunday – The Final Season (2007)

Sean Astin tries to recapture some of the underdog magic of Rudy in this based-on-truth tale about a small Iowa town that is about to suffer an identity crisis when the school board decides to merge with a neighboring district and end a legendary high school baseball program that has netted the school 19 state championships.

I’m a sports nut, so I’m inclined to like nice movies like this, but the critical part of me has to point out that there were no surprises here. I’ve seen this movie before several times, most prominently in Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington. Not that that version was fresh and new either. My spouse liked it mainly because it contained only one or two f-bombs. She has her own unique way of evaluating movies.

Anyway, I wouldn’t call it a total waste, yet, it’s not a home run. Unless you have kids to entertain, I wouldn’t bump this formulaic offering to the top of your list. Just keep it in mind for a day when you’ve no appetite for violence or vulgarity.

No comments: