Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Closer - A Real Turkey

We celebrated our 43rd anniversary on Thanksgiving Day. Forty-three years of wedded bliss. Well, honestly, it hasn’t been all bliss. We had our ups and downs early on, but somewhere along the line everything clicked into place and it’s been clear sailing under sunny skies since. As you might suspect, the secret to a long marriage, at least in our case, is love. We’re brimming with it. The secret to getting along on a daily basis involves compromise. For example, take our TV viewing habits. Though she doesn’t get it, my wife continues to watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles with me. And, to equal things out, I watch The Closer with her. Now, I’ve got nothing against Kevin Bacon’s wife, Kyra Sedgwick – I loved her in Phenomenon with John Travolta, a movie I never get tired of seeing. But, I just can’t take her in The Closer. My main problem is her accent. I’ve lived down south and I’m familiar with a variety of southern drawls, none of which resembles Ms. Sedgwick’s version. The only thing I’ve ever heard that’s even close to it was the accent produced by Dustin Hoffman for the Dorothy Michaels character in the 1982 movie Tootsie. I don’t let on to my wife, but whenever we watch The Closer, I spend a good part of the time reminiscing about Tootsie. Hey, that’s what compromise is all about.

No comments: