Wednesday, January 14, 2009

OMG, I’m A Freakin’ Game Addict

With a couple hundred web pages to maintain, plus blogs, I’ve often scoffed at people who waste their valuable time playing computer games. “C’mon,” I’d say, “Get a life.”

Then, about a month ago, one of my Facebook friends sent me a “Save The Planet” challenge. I followed the link and discovered that by playing various games you could earn money (fantasy money, of course) which you then could donate to any number of worthwhile causes. Just for the hell of it, I clicked on Solitaire. Well, a month later, I have donated more than $50 million, having achieved the rating of Saint, and I can’t seem to break myself of this destructive habit.

And it’s not just the STP games. By now I’ve tried my hand at bowling, pool, scramble and any number of other games. I guess the challenge is to beat your friends’ high scores or, as is often the case, at least climb into the top three.

But, really, what’s the sense. At the least, it’s got to be bad for my eyes and as a pool player eyesight is all important. And, though my web pages are pretty much up to date, there’s always something I could be doing. My most recent projects were to add a script to my pages that automatically advances the copyright date each year. Previously, I had changed the dates manually each January. Then, on impulse, I added amazon textbook links to a lot of my pages and removed links to snapfish. I’d given the snapfish program 6 months, through the holidays, and hadn’t earned a single commission. Adios, ba-by.

That’s what I should be thinking about – not Bowling Buddies. Oops, I see Spider Solitaire is scoring double, today. Gotta go.

No comments: