Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars - A Tale of Two Cities.

I just couldn’t help wondering about a city who lauds Heath Ledger, Mickey Rourke and Robert Downey Junior, known substance abusers, while the rest of the country vilifies athletes who took ‘roids. If Barry Bonds can't make it to Cooperstown, he should move to Hollywood. At least there he would be a hero.

There weren’t many surprises – Kate Winslet, Sean Penn, Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle, Penelope Cruz and Heath Ledger all had been considered favorites. I was surprised by the show, itself, and the new set. Pretty decent. While not Billy Crystal, Hugh Jackman was at least okay as host. And, I have to admit, I really enjoyed Queen Latifa’s rendition of Sentimental Journey during the memoriam montage. I was tempted to go out and buy her latest cd, but, by morning, I had come down off that Oscar high. I could feel the tension, heartache and disappointment when Jennifer Aniston stood there presenting with Brad and Angelina just a few steps away. That was sad. But I was more than shocked back into the moment by Sophia Loren who was suffering from too much botox, too much collagen, or too much make-up. She was downright scary.

Nothing sticks out among the acceptance speeches, though I do believe Sean Penn appeared slightly too pleased with himself when he was introduced as a fine human being. And, did I miss something? Did he even mention his wife?

Unfortunately, I did doze off for a good hour, but, all indications are, I saw all that mattered.

No comments: