Friday, November 20, 2009

I’m Just Sayin’ and Sayin’ and Sayin’


Almost overnight, it seems “I’m Just Sayin’” has slipped into our everyday lexicon and this, ya know, leaves me wondering if it’s a phrase I’ve recently picked up or one I’ve always used. Hard to figure.

I find myself employing it more and more, most often when the person I’m talking to, most often my dear wife, takes offense, disagrees or, ya know, somehow responds negatively to something I’m saying.

“Michael Jackson was a pervert.”
“I can’t believe you would say something like that!”
“I’m just sayin’…”

It slips out so naturally that I can’t believe it’s not, ya know, a phrase I’ve been using since… since… since back in the day or, as I prefer, once upon a time. I mean, there are times when I actually think, ya know, that I am responsible for introducing the expression into our vernacular.

I’m just sayin’.

With the help of google, I found out that a sports blog by Danny Picard, a sports writer for Comcast SportsNet New England, is entitled “I’m Just Sayin’.” Similarly, there’s “I'm Just Sayin'! - A Kevin and Bean Show Fan Blog.” Then, there’s “I’m Just Sayin’ Is All” , not to be confused with “I’m Just Sayin’” a personal blog by mom, friend, writer Robyn Passante. Add to these “I’m Just Sayin’” by Ramonassister. There are also a series of blog entries under the heading of “I’m Just Sayin’” at Comic Nexus.

I wondered, ya know, about the origin of the expression and found a lengthy discussion at Pain In The English. Philosophically speaking, it was explored here.

And you might have heard Jon Stewart’s reaction to The CNN segment called “Just Sayin’.”

Not long ago, ya know, during an ESPN interview an athlete peppered his responses with countless repetitions of “know what I’m sayin’?” It’s a word whisker. I’ve decided I like it more than the common “ya know” and pledge to incorporate it into my daily speech patterns.

Know what I’m sayin’?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for also noticing this recent craze. I blame facebook. People are also "woot woot"-ing an awful lot lately.

Robyn said...

I just stumbled upon this and wanted to mention I've had my blog for four years. :) I'd say that's proof I'm way ahead of the pop culture lexicon curve, but I regularly say "Dude." So, who knows.

Just sayin'.