Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Much Ado About Nothing – Changes at WUSF-FM

Car Talk, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Jazz – that’s all I really want from my public radio station. I’m not really into classical music. I do listen to it some times, when I don’t want to be distracted. For me, it’s sort of like elevator music.

Recently, I learned that my local NPR station, WUSF-FM, was splitting it’s offerings onto two stations. Their acquisition, located at 89.1, will now broadcast classical music 24/7. Big whoop. WUSF, 89.7, will switch to a talk radio format during the day with Jazz still available only to us night owls.

Those talk shows they’ll be throwing at us are already available to me on WUFT-FM out of Gainesville. In fact, I get a stronger signal from Gainesville which is about 100 miles north than I do from the locals which sit 40 to 50 miles south. So, the big expansion that goes into effect September 15th, 2010, doesn’t really excite me. Jazz during the day – now, that’s something I could’ve gotten excited about.

I can’t help thinking that if you invited all those who are thrilled about the new 24/7 classical music station, along with those who will be listening to the endless litany of NPR talk, to a picnic, no one would show up – too boring.

No comments: