Monday, September 22, 2008

No Emmy for Emmies

Are the writers still on strike? I mean, from beginning to end, that was the worst Emmy Awards Show ever.

If you were looking for a flat opening, you couldn’t possibly have generated less excitement than you did by playing the Oprah card? Along with the 5 reality show hosts, the show was quickly relegated to the basement of the all-time award show standings, just behind Letterman’s fabled Oscar catastrophe. Not even Heidi Klum’s klumsy strip down could derail this train wreck

Of course, Oprah’s appearance was a subtle endorsement of Barack Obama. Sublety seemed to be the dictated policy. Otherwise, everybody would have wasted the uncaring public’s valuable time plugging their favorite African American savior. Laura Linney was bursting with pride when she referred to our founding fathers as “community organizers.” I like the kid, but when it comes to politics, she’s in a league with Lindsey Lohan.

Among other moments that didn’t thrill me, was the presentation of best comedy show to “30 Rock” by Betty White and Cat Woman. I also discovered sadly that Tommy Smothers isn’t funny any more.

As far as the winners go, I have no arguments there. I don’t get the cable channels. Having grown up with free tv, I just can’t see paying $60 a month. I amuse myself with the basic networks. If I want to see a show like the Sopranos, I get it on DVD. In fact, I just added season 2 of Dexter to my Netflix Queue.

No comments: