Saturday, October 25, 2008

Janie Comes Lately to the Tampa Bay Rays

I’m a Yankees fan and have been all my life. Still, that doesn’t prevent me from pulling for the Rays. After all, most of my friends are Rays fans and were Rays fans last year when the team wasn’t doing nearly as well. J.C., a teammate in a couple pool leagues, likes to boast that he’s been a fan from the get-go, having attended the Rays first game.

Of course, now, there are so many died-in-the-wool Rays fans out there, it’s a wonder fans haven’t been rioting outside the Trop because of their deep desire to get in. The latest to jump aboard is the newly redefined CBS affiliate Tampa Bay 10. Those Rays fanatics at 10 Connects have been airing hour long pregame shows hosted by Reggie “Do-Take-Care” Roundtree before the Rays postseason home games. I don’t know if anyone’s been watching; I know I haven’t been. Anyway, this morning, it struck me as funny and ironic when an enthusiastic 10 Connects newscaster, Janie Porter, announced tonight’s starting pitchers as the Rays Matt Garza vs. the Phillies Jamie Moyer, pronouncing Moyer with a French twist - moy-YAY. You’d think that such an avid baseball fan would have at least bumped into the name Moyer, rhymes with Sawyer, during his 22 year big league baseball career. Wouldn’t you?

No comments: