Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Are You Tweeting? Are You Tweeting?

Dorme vous? Dorme vous?

I couldn't resist that.

I’ve been tweeting. Or twittering. Whatever you want to call it. Don’t ask me why. Guess I’m just curious.

There are some serious tweeters out there. I’ve run into guys and gals with tens of thousands of “followers.” That’s code for twitter connections. At any given moment I can go to my twitter home page and find scores of messages.

Wikipedia describes twitter as “a social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 bytes in length. Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default).”

Is there money in tweeting? I wish. Still, there are scores of self-promotion gurus who are trying to drum up business for their investment, real estate, self-help, etc. websites. Some of them link to souped up web pages that present 90 minute infomercials. I ain’t kidding. I’ve accepted invitations to follow some of them, others, the most nauseating, I’ve rejected. I, along with 569,000 others, am even following Barack Obama though he hasn’t tweeted since he’s been in office. Secret Service probably cracked down on that - national security.

Anyway, right now, I’m following 76 tweeters, 59 are following me. When some of those followers find out, and I’m sure they will, that I’m not following them, I’m sure they’ll delete me from their networks. Tit for tat.

My tweets? Just spur of the moment flashes I come up with when I think I ought to post something. Will it drive tweeters to my websites? I doubt it, unless someone thinks they might be able to trap me into signing up for one of their site-improvement scams. Yeah, right, I’ll sign up for that. To tell you the truth, I don’t have much time for tweeting. I’m too busy with other stuff.

No comments: