Monday, March 23, 2009

No Life On Mars

Based on the British series of the same name, ABC’s Life On Mars, with its star-studded cast that includes Jason O’Mara, Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli and Gretchen Mol was canceled after just one season. There will probably be DVDs available for Season One, but no posters. Though I enjoyed this show, I’m not that upset about the cancellation, mainly because I’ve been promised a thrilling conclusion.

An author who lengthened his novel by filling it with incidental events experienced by the protagonist probably wouldn’t make anybody’s bestsellers list. Yet, TV producers think that viewers will hang on through years of episodic unraveling in hopes of arriving at some kind of conclusion. These shows are not for me.

I mean, yeah, way back in a distant day, I managed to get all wrapped up in The Fugitive. Back then, I think everybody was. But that was enough for me. Ever since, every time I run into a show that denies me a weekly resolution, I say to myself “Oh, no, not another one of these.”

So, one season of wondering “What the hell’s going on with Sam Tyler?” is about all I can stand. If the final episode doesn't give me closure, maybe I can watch the British episodes online.

No comments: