Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Golf Channel – Are You Serious?

I was getting ready for lunch the other day, and, since the PGA Tournament was in progress, instead of the usual First Take on ESPN2, I thought I might watch some early round golf action. Too lazy to check out the TV directory, I had been by the Golf Channel enough times to know it was 67 on the dial so I punched it in. Sure enough, the graphics announced that they were covering the PGA Tournament.

Well, I was only half-watching as I messed around in the kitchen making a sandwich. And even when I brought everything into the living room and began to eat I wasn’t paying close attention. Eventually, however, it dawned on me that the Golf Channel’s coverage consisted of shots of the players on the practice tee, periodic expert roundtable discussions, interviews with players and golf dignitaries, scoring updates – basically, everything you might expect except one thing. There was no golf. I’m talking about actual tournament play. None. Nada. Obviously, they didn’t have the rights to broadcast the tournament. I later found some coverage on TNT. They were working in tandem with CBS. Anyway, when I realized I was being duped, I was terribly offended and changed the channel.

It very well could be that avid golf fans already knew about the extent of the golf channel’s coverage. I guess some fans might even find it entertaining. A couple days later, just looking for some background information, I returned to their coverage and who do I see giving a report? None other than Jim Grey. How low can you go, Jim? Jim’s career went into a tailspin shortly after his infamous interview with Pete Rose following Pete’s introduction as part of the All Century Team during Game 2 of the 1999 World Series. Many people, including me, were outraged that he had chosen that particular moment in history to attack one to the greats of the game. His subsequent apology did little to resurrect his career. He gradually became less and less prominent, then, finally, he disappeared. But, now he’s back. On the golf channel! Interviewing groundskeepers and parking attendants. I watched his interview closely. He said nothing the least offensive. Yet, I was offended anyway. He’s performing a job that could just as well go to some worthy Mexican.

No comments: