Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ace's Internet – Forever and A Day



This is pretty funny… at least to me.

Back in the 90’s, when we were living in Northwest Montana, long before I had harnessed the vast money-making potential of the internet, I had some web pages on space provided by my internet provider.

This was the early going, when I was just learning html, an era when flowery backgrounds were all the rage. To look at them now, my pages would appear crude. Oops, you can look at them, now. Try visiting My Jerks Page.

Someone pissed me off during our last stint in Big Sky Country. We had previously built a house outside Kalispell along side Lake Blaine on property we purchased from our friends, the Andrews. But developers started crowding in on us so we sold out and relocated to Spring Hope, North Carolina where we bought a house from the sister-in-law of Major League ball player Gary Gaetti.

But I digress. I can’t remember who pissed me off… Wait, it’s coming back to me – it was a couple of asshole landlords. We hooked up with them by chance; they were masquerading as hippies, or naturalites, or whatever you want to call the tree-hugging bastards. Anyway, in between granola bars, they managed to cultivate some pretty severe OCDs which I, in particular, having a degree in psychology, didn’t want to be part of. So, we found alternate digs, they kept our security deposit, blah blah blah.

Anyway, they inspired me to create the Jerks page. As you can see from The Jerk’s List, the page struck a responsive chord and in a short amount of time I accumulated a fair amount of fellow gripers.

The thing is, we moved out of there shortly after Y2K, in the spring of 2000. That’s when I closed my account with my Flathead Valley ISP. Yet, these pages are still out there. I no longer have access to them, can’t update them, or change them – but they’re still out there. Just for the hell of it, I googled “Ace’s Cabin Fever,” the title of an online journal I used to keep. Up it came, top of the page.

Thank goodness, I had the presence of mind to delete a lot of the contents before I closed the account. I mean, some of my journal entries were brutally honest. Hey, neither I nor Al Gore had any idea this thing we invented was going to last!

Last year, my pc crashed and I lost a lot of sentimental pics I’d been storing on my hard-drive. Well, guess what I found among my old Montana pages, the Toscano family album. Check it out.

No comments: